Monday, October 29, 2007

Little Gems: Picked Randomly

Oh boy: one month since I last found the time to post a little something. All I can do is register astonishment and apoligise. Then again: nobody leaves any comments, so I assume nobody's reading this anyway!

I just sent away my Contrast Podcast - contribution to Tim and after having finished here I will listen to this weeks's theme: 'Musicians introduce their own songs Pt. 7'. And I'm really looking forward to find out what was sent in. Next week's topic though is 'Random Shuffle', all you have to do is to put your MP3 player on 'Random' and send in the first song it plays.

Now, I thought I'd make a little random shuffle myself by grabbing a few 7" singles with closed eyes for you to enjoy. They are sorted alphabetically and therefore I might pick some stuff which I haven't heard for a long time indeed ... perhaps for good reasons. But it's all part of the fun, isn't it?

Okay, just returned from the shelf with the 7"s with:


Busters with Laurel Aitken - 'Boogie With The Bartender' (mp3) on Weserlabel from 1989. White vinyl and with very much surface noise. But who cares, ey? Or, as John Peel said: 'Life has surface noise as well.'

Buzzcocks - 'Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)' (mp3) on United Artists, 1978. Brilliant record and certainly one of my all time faves ..... along with The Undertones' 'Teenage Kicks'. But this is filed under 'U' obviously ....

Cadeau De Marriage - 'Pourquoi Es Tu Devenue Si Raisonnable?' (mp3) on Reception Records from 1988. Now, this is really great!! I think I would never have listened to this again by choice for the next 10 years if I hadn't decided to do this random thingy here .... it sounds really awesome on my headphones right now! This is The Wedding Present actually and I must admit I forgot why they decided to translate their name and the title [of 'Why Are You Being So Reasonable Now?'] into French at the time. I once saw them at a gig in Aachen in the mid 80's and they were just unbelievable. It was a rather small venue, you know, and I stood right in front of the stage, like 2 metres away from David Gedge, and he played the guitar so fast, you actually couldn't see his fingers moving. Perfect.

Cake - 'Rock 'n' Roll Lifestyle' (mp3) on Capricorn Records (1994). This is the backside of 'I Will Survive' from 1997. But I prefer it to the A-side and I'm in charge. There you are ..

Cateran - 'Last Big Lie' (mp3) on DDT Records. It doesn't show a date, although I think it's from the mid 80's. 'Cateran' actually is Galic for 'Hooligan'. At least Peel once mentioned this. Another one I wouldn't have listened to if it weren't for this random theme. Which shows me: I should do this more often

Dear friends, I can only hope you had as much fun as I had. Leave a comment and let me know if you want to listen to another random selection one of these days. And:

Enjoy.

Dirk

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Dirk

I used to drink with Murdo, the lead singer of The Cateran, as he was a school mate of a boy who worked in the same office as me in Edinburgh, Scotland back in 1986/87. (The band were originally from Inverness)

I think this is the first time I've ever seen them mentioned in any blog. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

good to see a bit of ska on a blog other than the mighty 2-tone; well done. but any chance of re-posting the busters as the link is dead